4425 W. Airport Fwy., Suite 242
Irving, TX 75062

Irving Enforcements & Modifications Attorney

Law Firm in Dallas for Enforcing a Divorce Decree

Grand Prairie Divorce Lawyer for Enforcing or Modifying a Divorce Decree

After getting through a divorce, the last thing you probably want to do is come back to court to deal with issues related to the end of your marriage. However, there are times when it is necessary to do so. After the divorce was finalized and you and your former spouse went your separate ways, your circumstances - or theirs - may have changed drastically, necessitating a modification. Or, perhaps your spouse is flat-out refusing to comply with the terms of the divorce decree. If you are in one of these situations, it may be in your best interest to have an attorney address these concerns on your behalf.

The Law Office of Dennis R. Croman, Inc. can represent you as you seek to enforce or modify a divorce decree. Whether your former spouse is ignoring the decree's terms and causing you problems, or one of your situations has changed and you need a modification, our attorney can help. We understand the difficulty of divorce, even long after it has been finalized. Our goal is to protect your interests and make this process as stress-free as possible.

Divorce Modification Lawyer in Dallas

After a divorce, your situation may change. Modifications to a divorce order can be made for one of three reasons:

  • Mutual agreement - We can help you file a petition with your spouse. These petitions are generally accepted.
  • Material and substantial changes - This can include significant personal and financial changes. For example, if a spouse paying alimony has lost their job, or the spouse receiving alimony now has much higher earnings, adjustments to these payments may be needed. Spousal support may also be terminated if the receiving spouse moves in with a new romantic partner or remarries.
  • Change in child support laws - The way child support is calculated sometimes changes. If a change would make a large difference to the amount paid or received, the court may grant a modification.

Modifications to child custody and visitation can also be made if there has been a substantial change and a judge determines that a modification is in the children's best interests. Examples would include a now-older child's wishes for a change, any abuse or criminal activity by one parent, or if a parent who was not initially awarded visitation or custody demonstrates that they are now in a better position to parent their children.

Coppell Attorney for Divorce Decree Enforcement

After going through the stressful and sometimes painful process of arriving at a fair division of property, you should be able to expect that your spouse will obey the court's orders. If they do not turn over your rightful property, you have the right to seek enforcement. You may also need to enforce the court's orders regarding custody of your children or the payment of financial support.

There are several possible solutions. If your ex-spouse attempts to argue that the divorce decree was unclear, we can request a clarification. Otherwise, the court may simply order your ex to deliver the property or funds that are yours, require them to abide by a child custody order, or collect any financial support that is owed. Your former spouse cannot evade their obligations by disposing of property or voluntarily quitting their job, and they can be ordered to financially compensate you for losses caused by their non-compliance.

Generally, these are the most common remedies, although others exist for specific situations that are less simple to resolve. Our attorney can help you understand all of your options and the actions the court may take. Your ex could also be ordered to pay your attorney's fees and court costs, or they could even be found in contempt of court.

Contact a University Park Divorce Decree Enforcement & Modification Lawyer

If you need to have your divorce decree enforced, or if you believe you have grounds for a modification, The Law Office of Dennis R. Croman, Inc. can represent you in a post-divorce action. Call us at 972-887-3072 or use our online contact form to arrange a free consultation.

Back to Top